These words of Jesus have been a comfort to many throughout the ages.
What does believing in Jesus mean to me?
- I believe that He is faithful--all the time. I must not doubt Him. I should not let my heart be troubled. Worry kills; Christ came to give us life. He has promised, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." We must learn to trust Him even in the worst situations and realize that He will work everything out for our good (Romans 8:38).
- I need to fear Him only. He said, "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end," and I believe that. He is God Almighty, and we must respect His word. A person who fears God will not yield when others pressure them to do wrong. We must be more afraid of God's judgment than of the disapproval of our peers.
- I love Him. I believe that He died a cruel and painful death to save my soul from eternal damnation. He did this because He loved me. "Greater love hath no man than this than that a man lay down his life for his friends." He has been so good and merciful to me and blessed me far more than I deserve. I love Him because He first loved me and because He is such a wonderful God and friend, as the song says "He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own, and the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known."
- I thank Him for His gift of liberty. "Whom the Son sets free is free indeed." Christ has liberated us from the bondage of sin and given us new life in Him. He gives the true liberty which no government on earth can take away. Betsy ten Boom was free as she lay dying in a Nazi concentration camp. The Nazis had imprisoned her body, but her spirit they could never shackle. Her mind was free. Bitterness and hatred could never enslave her because her thoughts were on Christ.
- I praise Him. He is the Conqueror. He arose from the dead on the third day; He has defeated death. "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin." He was pure and blameless; the grave could not hold Him, and He has promised eternal life to all who believe in Him.
Believe that He is an omniscient and omnipotent God; believe that He watches over the sparrows, and He is watching over you.
Let not your heart be troubled.