Along the Brandywine for nominating me for the Sunshine Award and Jon and Caryln for nominating me for the Liebster Award. These awards are a way for bloggers to learn more about each other by asking several questions.
2. For relaxation: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, or neither?
Neither, I do enjoy various C.S. Lewis quotes though. One good one is, "I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
3. Do you enjoy pie baking? Do you have a favorite kind (apple, cherry, etc.)?
Pie baking is ok; however, I am more enthusiastic about the eating part than the baking part. I like cooking pecan pies best and eating French Silk (what could be better?).
4. A particular way God has blessed you in the past week?
His innumerable blessings include traveling mercies for my family and I, and His powerful words in the book of Hebrews. "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
5. Something summery and wonderful (i.e. something you did or are planning to do, something you learned, somewhere you're planning to or have traveled)?
Something summery and wonderful would be cool showers of rain after a blistering hot day, and a chicken sandwich and strawberry milkshake Friday at Niland's Cafe at the intersection of the Jefferson and Lincoln Highways.
Jon and Carlyn's questions:
1. What message/feeling do you want others to take away from your blog when they read it?
I want people to be challenged and inspired to live for Jesus and enjoy the world around them.
2. Do you have any favorite blog communities where you like to discover other blogs of interest?
I find new blogs to follow by looking at the blogs of those who have commented on or follow my friends' blogs.
3. Do you have a personal favorite blog post you've made? If so, which is it?
I have way too many favorites (I don't post anything I don't like). One of my favorites is the Sermon of the Weeds.
4. Share 3 hobbies or interests you have unrelated to your blog.
Chess, gardening, and music.
5. In general what are the things that appeal to you in a blog design?
What I like is fresh simplicity. I prefer a light colored background, with at most a few pleasant colors or simple, lovely, designs, and no GIFs or automatic background music without a pause option. Fonts should be simple and easy to read. Post width should be on the wider side.
Good blog designs turn readers eyes on the content, not distract them from it. Bad blog designs drive readers away without even considering the content. But still whether the blogger likes his/her own blog is all that matters! This is just my criteria on whether I will like a blog based on design or not.
6. Favorite band(s)/singer(s)/performing artist(s)?
The Johnson Strings (Youtube here), the Piano Guys, the MacDonald Family Singers, Johnny Cash's gospel selections, and the Statler Brother's Christian songs.
7. What are the goals and expectations you have for your blog over the next year?
To continue posting at least 10 times a month for the rest of the year! One of my New Year's goals, this so far has gone quite well and is getting easier and easier (I currently have at least 15 drafts ready and waiting to post!)
8. What would be your favorite ride at the amusement park/town fair?
I've never participated in any rides except for a carousel as a child.
9. Have you influenced/inspired (or been influenced/inspired by) any friends or family members to blog?
My family is very helpful in giving me new ideas to post about.
10. What is your favorite travel destination?
Somewhere I've never been before.
11. Favorite place to dine out?
Currently Culver's and the International Buffet.
My nominees (If they would like to participate) are:
Abigail at Sweeter Gets the Journey: Beautiful sunset shots. And who doesn't like Roy, Dale, and Trigger?
Aimee at Aimee on the Mountainside: Awesome photos of the Pacific Northwest.
Deyanira at The Psalmist and Her Garden: Read one of my favorite of her inspiring devotional insights here.
Emily at All Shall be Well: Devotional and life posts from my cousin, the Lady Pastor.
Gosia at Looking for Identity: An exploration of Poland.
Hannah Sue at Little Iowan Family: Travel, life, and devotional challenges.
Kelly-Anne at Beautiful Girlhood: Encouraging quotes, beautiful craft projects, and lovely photos.
Roxy at Living from Glory to Glory: A lovely blog filled with encouragement, recipes, and photos!
And if you'd like to complete the award, consider yourself nominated as well! Liebster Award rules: 1. List 11 facts about yourself (optional), 2. Answer the questions given you, 3. Nominate other bloggers with less than 200 followers (optional). I would love reading the answers of anyone who would like to participate! My questions are:
1. If you could have an expenses-paid vacation to anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
2. What would you like to accomplish by the end of 2014?
3. If you had a million dollars, how would you use it?
4. What are your favorite foods?
5. What are your favorite quotes and Bible verses?
6. What is the best advice on life you can give in up to 3 sentences?
7. If you could live in any time period, which would you choose?
8. What is your dream car and your dream home?
9. What languages can you speak?
10. Do you have a current occupation; if not, what would your dream job be?
11. What cause(s) are you most opinionated about?
12. Is there any quality you think the Lord is growing in you right now (e.g., patience, love, trust)?