14th Annual Turning Hearts Celebration

Saturday, September 19, 2015

My family and I spent Labor day at the Turning Hearts Celebration at the Bontrager's farm near Kalona, Iowa.  I had never attended this event before, but a few friends and family members went last year.  A couple of them must have really enjoyed it, because they twisted my arm pleasantly encouraged me to go this year. (Ahem, the guilty parties know who they are.) 
After Mr. Bontrager greeted everyone, the first speaker was Pastor Rafael Cruz, Presidential candidate Senator Ted Cruz' father. In two sessions, he preached a sermon, and then told his life story. He was a revolutionary against Bastita's regime as a teenager, and ended up incarcerated and tortured. He survived and moved to Texas on a student visa in 1957, and eventually got saved. Pastor Cruz believes his son would make a good president. The Bontragers are Cruz supporters too; one of their sons even wrote a song supporting Ted Cruz.
Other speakers were the pastor of the Bontragers' church, and Richard and Betty Odgaard, a couple who owned Görtz Haus in Grimes, Iowa--an art gallery, bistro, and wedding venue. The Odgaards refused to provide wedding services to a homosexual couple. The couple filed a complaint; the Odgaards agreed to a $5000 settlement, and then closed their venue to avoid more lawsuits.
Between speakers, some of the young people (above) did some jamming.  Their music was beautiful!  Others went on hay rides.  There was a football game, and the Bontragers had an ice cream stand.  I enjoyed some delicious mint chip ice cream.  There were also Lilla Rose hair accessories for sale, candles from another company, and flyers for Ted Cruz and a parental rights group.  A couple people went around with petitions for folks to sign because their city councils were considering getting rid of crosses in public places in their towns.
Tim Harder, 2015 Iowa Reserve Chess Co-Champion, was there, so I played many blitz and lightning games against him, and a few bughouse games with him and others...and thoroughly enjoyed most of the games. 
For supper there were cheesy potatoes, green beans, and pork burgers.  After listening to speakers and hearing the Bontrager family sing (a photo from their sibling cooperation act is below), a little after 9:00 pm, it was volleyball time!  
We played speed volleyball till around 1 A.M. or so.  By then there were only a few people left on the court.  I was quite tired, and we decided to call it quits.  So we headed over to the Dutch Country Inn, which the Bontragers own in Kalona, Iowa.  
We enjoyed a brief, but pleasant, repose, followed by a continental breakfast.  Then we left for home.  I'm glad I went to the Turning Hearts Festival.  Although I was hesitant to attend this religious event, it's hard to beat good music, chess, and volleyball all in one day.
Thanks to the Bontrager Family for their hospitality!

22 comments:

  1. not a fan of ted cruz, but glad you enjoyed the music, food, volleyball and chess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! I haven't decided on a favorite candidate yet, but the Bontragers certainly have.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I've always wanted to meet the Bontragers. From what I've seen on youtube they're really talented. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany you took part in the interesting event. The Gortz Haus is a nice place I have loked on its website. Have a nice wewk. Love from Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a geat time! What is "Bughouse" when it is at home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the primary definition of bughouse, I'm not sure I want to know...
      It's still bughouse to me though! :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely time. I'm glad you found things to enjoy while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like so much fun! Glad you were able to get some games in at the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely event! Those kids are so cute! Wishing you a blessed autumn! Liuba x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard SO much about this event:) it was very fun to see pictures:! Looks like the Bontragers do a wonderful job hosting a beautiful event:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!! I really enjoyed seeing them and I sort of know some of the people in the pictures (well heard about and Lord willing meeting them on Saturday).:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope you enjoy your time with "some of the people." :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Bethany, Thanks for such an unbiased report on an event you attended due to some arm twisting. :-) It is good that you found some challengers for some chess games to brighten the experience! Now, you mentioned, "For supper there were cheesy potatoes, green beans, and pork burgers." That could make my day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy when someone mentioned playing a few games--otherwise I would have been stuck watching the boys play football...

      Delete
  11. Curious why you were hesitant to attend a religious event? Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not enthusiastic about the religious world today.

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS