Book Review: The Art of the Deal

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Around the time I read Hillary Clinton's It Takes a Village, I also purchased a copy of Trump: The Art of the Deal, by Donald J. Trump with Tony Schwartz.  This year, I finally got around to reading it--and was surprised how quickly I finished.  This book has a very easy-to-read style.
Published in 1987,  the first chapter details a week in Trump's life.  The book then goes on to tell Trump's story, with a special focus on each of his big deals.  The stories are revealing.  Love or hate him, Trump is Trump.  He's well educated, but a bit rough around the edges.  And that's exactly what his book is like.  The type of language he uses in his speeches is what you'll read in his book.

Interestingly enough, he used almost exactly the same strategies in his presidential campaign that he describes using in his deals.  He noted that the press is always hungry for a sensational story, and that even a critical story, hurtful personally, can give valuable publicity.  (In the campaign it seemed he said and did sensational things regardless of whether they made him look good or bad.)

Another thing Trump said is, "The final key to the way I promote is bravado.  I play to people's fantasies.  People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do.  That's why a little hyperbole never hurts.  People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular.  I call it truthful hyperbole.  It's an innocent form of exaggeration--and a very effective form of promotion."  (He utilized this strategy to the fullest in his campaign.)  At the same time, he criticized those "who talk a good game but don't deliver."

In the final chapter Trump concludes with talking about what's next and says he most admires people who put themselves directly on the line and give time, instead of just their money.  He says he's good at overcoming obstacles and motivating people to do their best work, and that he's going to try to use those skills in the service of others.  

I'm very glad I read this book, as it provides insight into the thought-process of the President-elect.  

22 comments:

  1. Easy to read books are really the best. Thank you for sharing, Bethany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany. This does help me understand a bit more about his approach to life. I continue to pray for all of those in authority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. It has been pointed out to me that praying for all those in authority is an interesting scriptural command, precisely because the Bible doesn't tell us how we should pray, just why (so we can live a peaceful life). Sometimes we may be tempted to pray, "Lord, I pray for [elected official], that you would hinder his wicked plans, so we can live a peaceful life." I guess, "Please give so-and-so wisdom" is a much nicer prayer. But I do believe both ways of praying are appropriate at times, depending on the situation.

      Delete
  3. I read the book years ago, too. I had a shirt-tail relative that worked for him for many years and he was the hardest-working best boss he had ever worked for and he admired him. He said he did a lot of kind things for people (financially) without any expectation of being paid back or even have it known that it was him that helped someone out. I knew who The Donald (as they called him) was long before he was a public figure.
    Praying for him as our President-elect and I truly hope he can help make America Great Again. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is neat that you knew someone who worked for him! Thanks for sharing the story!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review! It does give insight into his personality. We do need to be praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed. I hope God will give him the grace to make the right decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was reading the comment above, and I, too, have heard that President Trump has done very nice things for people without ever wanting any fanfare or even thanks for it. I read a story once (I may not be quoting this exactly right, but I will tell what I remember of it). I think the person was driving along and saw that a vehicle was broken down (it may have been a limo). Anyhow, the person stopped and helped the person who was broken down, never knowing who it was that was in the vehicle being helped. A while later, the person's mortgage was completely paid off, and come to find out, it was Donald Trump who did it for him! I think he really, really appreciates what people do for him, and he seems to really reward loyalty. I think he has a good heart and will do a great job, as president, as we pray and lift him to the Father. I have never read his book, so I appreciate your viewpoint on it, as I truly value your opinion. God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very nice of Trump. Thanks for sharing the story! God bless you too, Cheryl.

      Delete
  7. A great review, friend. Makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recall seeing this book or maybe hearing about it, but I never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting, thanks for the review! I might have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not vote for him , but I hope he turns out to be a good president. You will find, if you read through my other posts, that I write about Democrats, Republicans, and third-party candidates. Hate and ignorance help no one. It's important to be willing to listen to all sides of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Hate and ignorance help no one." Amen Bethany!
    P.S. I never thought of Trump as any of those things this commenter said. He grew up in a city full of different cultures, and it has always seemed to me that New Yorkers get along together while keeping there identities. Maybe Trump doesn't exercise his faith regularly, but I do believe he is a Christian.
    Love your blog girl! I like many of the same things you do even though I am old enough to be your mom. :-)
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Margot! Hope you will continue to visit!

    ReplyDelete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS